Walking through the barracks one day I noticed a piece of paper tacked to the doors of some of his Marines. It was entitled Hensley’s Philosophy and I liked it enough to share with you today.
1. Remember that you did this to yourself.
2. Discipline leads to mastery.
3. In order to master your profession, you need to first master yourself (SELF DISCIPLINE).
4. Increase your lethality every chance you get. EVERY DAY.
5. If you won’t work on lethality, at least work on some form of self development.
6. Become proficient in the things you DO NOT enjoy.
7. Accept that the basics ARE brilliant.
8. Remember that practice makes PERMANENT.
9. Imagine that someone you respect is watching everything you do, ALL THE TIME.
10. Know your limits.
11. Constantly work to exceed your limits, SAFELY.
12. Balance mental proficiency with physical proficiency. Balance physical capacity with mental capacity.
13. Make time to rest.